Jason S. Miyares
Attorney General of Virginia

Frequently Asked Questions: Legal Assistance

  1. What is the role of the Attorney General's Office?

  2. I need assistance in locating a private attorney.

    The Virginia State Bar (VSB) is the state agency responsible for regulation of the legal profession. In addition, the VSB offers the Virginia Lawyer Referral Service (VLRS). By calling the VLRS, you can be given the name and phone number of a Virginia attorney who practices in the area of the law with which you require assistance. If you are referred to an attorney through this service, you are entitled to an initial consultation of up to 30 minutes for no more than $35.00. The VLRS requires prepayment for a referral and initial consultation.  Get more information about the Virginia Lawyer Referral Service or calling 1-800 552-7977.

  3. I need a private attorney but can't afford one.

    Legal assistance may be available to you at no cost if you meet certain income guidelines or other criteria and your legal problem does not involve a criminal matter. Get a directory of Legal Aid offices in Virginia.

  4. I am the spouse of an active duty military member, and I need to talk with an attorney about a civil matter, but I can't afford one.

    Military legal assistance services are available at most military installations for military members, their eligible family members, and military retirees. You may go to https://legalassistance.law.af.mil/ to find an office near you.