- Internet-based technology has made it cheap and easy for scam artists to make robocalls and spoof fake caller ID information.
- Don't answer calls from numbers you do not recognize.
- If it's an unwanted robocall, hang up.
- Don't press 1 to speak to a live operator and don't press any other number to get your number off the calling list. If you respond by pressing a number, you likely will get more robocalls.
- Register your home and mobile phone numbers on the National Do Not Call Registry at www.donotcall.gov or by calling 1-888-382-1222 from the number you wish to register.
- Report robocalls to the National Do Not Call Registry at www.donotcall.gov. Federal and state law enforcement officials have access to the complaints filed through the National Do Not Call Registry.
- Contact your phone service provider and ask about available robocall-blocking technology.
- Consider using mobile apps or other features that may already be built into your phone to block robocalls.
- For more information about robocall-blocking technologies, consider the following information from the Federal Trade Commission.