Computer Security Tips
- Use strong passwords for your computer, e-mail, and financial accounts.
- Use variations of capital and lowercase letters, numbers, and special symbols of at least 8 characters.
- Do not use passwords based on information that is publicly known about you, such as birthdates, names of family members, address, etc.
- Install anti-virus software and update it regularly.
- Set your software to automatically scan your computer for viruses.
- Scan e-mail attachments and internet downloads for malware.
- Install and activate a software and hardware firewall.
- Check for updates to your operating system.
- Set your computer to lock-up after a period of inactivity and require a password to re-activate.
- Back up all of your data routinely using a USB drive to store the information.
- Never click on links contained in e-mails - type the link into a new browser tab.
- Never open attachments from unknown e-mail senders.
- Never download software programs from unknown publishers.
- If you are the victim of a computer crime, report it to www.ic3.gov or submit information on our form.