Insurance Company

The State Corporation Commission’s Bureau of Insurance (Bureau) regulates insurance companies and investigates insurance complaints. The Bureau’s web site contains information about the Bureau, instructions for filing a consumer complaint, and instructions for downloading consumer publications. Contact information for the Bureau is below:

Bureau of Insurance Web Site
Bureau of Insurance toll free in Virginia: 1-800-552-7945
Bureau’s Life & Health Consumer Services: (804) 371-9691
Bureau’s Property & Casualty Consumer Services: (804) 371-9185



Banks and other regulated financial institutions are exempt from the Virginia Consumer Protection Act, which this office enforces.  The Bureau of Financial Institutions (BFI) is a division within the Virginia State Corporation Commission. The BFI has jurisdiction over Virginia state-chartered financial institutions and certain out-of-state entities that have been granted authority to do business in the Commonwealth.

It is important to remember that the BFI does not act as the complainant's attorney. It also does not have the power to adjudicate complaints. If a dispute turns on facts that do not involve a supervised entity's violation of a specific law or regulation (such as a matter concerning internal policies or guidelines) the BFI will advise the complainant about other ways to pursue the complaint, such as through consulting a private attorney and/or initiating a court proceeding.

Bureau of Financial Institutions Web Site
The BFI does not have the authority to resolve complaints involving entities that are not under Virginia jurisdiction. Some institutions are regulated by federal government agencies. For example:

Commercial banks having the word "National" or using the title "N.A." (national association) in their title, are organized under and subject to federal law. Requests for information or complaints concerning these national banks should be directed to:

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
1-800-613-6743 (nationwide toll free number)

Savings banks and savings and loan associations having the word "Federal" in their name or which uses the initials "FSB" (federal savings bank), "FSA" (federal savings association), "FA" (federal association) or "FSLA" (federal savings and loan association) are regulated by the Office of Thrift Supervision, a federal agency. Inquiries or complaints should be directed to:

Office of Thrift Supervision
1-800-842-6929 (nationwide toll free number)

Federally regulated credit unions are similarly identified by the word "federal" in their name. Inquiries and complaints concerning federal credit unions should be directed to: National Credit Union Admin.
(703) 518-6300

You may also file a complaint with:

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)
(855) 411-CFPB (2372)

The CFPB is a federal agency that answers questions and handles complaints about consumer financial products or services. If you are having an issue with a credit card, mortgage, bank account or service, private student loan, consumer loan, credit reporting, money transfer, or debt collection, click here ( to submit a complaint to the CFPB or call toll-free at (855) 411-CFPB (2372).

Our telephone counselors are available to assist you with consumer questions, including where to file your complaint. You may call our Consumer Protection Hotline at (800) 552-9963 if calling from Virginia, or (804) 786-2042 if calling from the Richmond area or from outside Virginia. Our business hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.